Memories by Stephanie Dang

The wood fire burns drowsily,
The tree branches hang low.
The crackle of embers fill the air with orange sparks,
Dancing in the black night in front of our eyes.
We smile into the fire, at nothing in particular,
Just reminiscing the memories we've had and to come.
The occasional laugh, maybe even a story,
My little cousin is hungry, let's make him some popcorn,
Not too close to the fire, for grandma will scold.
Acquainted with the smell and the sounds and the sight
Of this small campsite where few others go,
My family and I make up half the people that know
About the windy gravel road leading up to this place,
About the tiny blue lake, about the beige sandy beach.
But it's okay, because we enjoy the peace and serenity,
Looking out on the water at where ocean meets sky,
Standing there thinking the memories we have made together
Are more than we could ever ask.


This is my blank verse poem about Horse Fly campsite where my grandparents like to go. Being a small campsite with about 15 spots total, not many people go there, and it is always very quiet when we are there. My family and I travel there every summer for about a week. I use repetition in this poem of the word memories, and "about the...". I also use personification, as I say the fire burns 'drowsily', and the embers 'dance'. I will use this poem in one of the summer months, as that is when we go camping.

2 comments:

  1. Dang, Steph. For a poem that lacks structure and rhyme this poem still manages to flow together into something good when I read it. I liked how you didn't try to paint an image in my head just by describing the scenery with fancy words, you actually threw in some real-life situations (your little cousin being hungry) that helped me understand what you're trying to convey better than any imagery could.

    I feel you could improve this poem by adding how you most likely have to eat bear-meat or deer-meat because your dad doesn't want his hunting victims to waste away. But it's also good the way it is =D

    -Henry

    ReplyDelete
  2. This poem is really good. Even though it has no structure, it flows well, and depicts a very vivid image of just laying by the campfire. I like the atmosphere it creates, and the very real and possible setting. Great job!

    ReplyDelete