There's lines on the road,
But nobody cares. Honking.
Kids on the sidewalk.
Yelling. Taxis everywhere,
Like busy buzzing hornets.
This is a Tanka poem. A Tanka a Japanese poetry type, which has 5 lines. The first and third line have 5 syllables, and the second, fourth, and fifth line have 7 syllables. This particular Tanka is about my trip to China. It briefly explains what I remember most about the country - the crazy traffic! By reading this poem, the reader can visualize what it would be like in the city hustle and bustle of China. There is a simile in line 5, saying the taxis are like "busy buzzing hornets". There is also alliteration of the letter B in line 5, "busy buzzing". The last poetic device is onomatopoeia with the use of the word "buzzing".
.......................
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Haha your portrayal is so true. It really does evoke the busy, bustling atmosphere of China. I think you did a great job describing the atmosphere there, of the hoards of people, taxis and cars everywhere etc. I think you did a great job!
ReplyDeleteGreat imagery in this one Steph! Very fitting of how you used an Asian poetic style to describe and Asian environment.
ReplyDeleteSteph! This poem defintely serves it's purpose! It makes the reader think of China. And yes, the imagery is definitely the main focus of this poem. Your simile of busy buzzing hornets is perfect! And I like your dismissive line "But nobody cares". Anyone who knows China knows how true that is.
ReplyDelete